Our Centre for Advanced Training is a part-time pre-vocational training programme for 11-17 year olds with the talent, passion and commitment to pursue a career in dance. There are only 9 such centres in the UK.
Audition for entry in September 2020
Following recent advice from the UK Government, we have decided to cancel physical auditions and instead hold CAT auditions online. At present we think this is the best option for the safety of all involved.
If you are interested in applying for Swindon Dance CAT the process will now follow these steps:
- Step One: Complete an application form – Deadline 17th June 2020
- Step Two: Submit three short videos (full details will be sent to you after completing the application form). – Deadline 19th June 2020
- Step Three: You will be contacted with your results, this will either be an offer of a place, a recall, a place on the reserve list, or if you have been unsuccessful on this occasion.
- If recalled further details will be given nearer the time. The recall has been outlined encase the panel feel they require further footage.
As this is a new process, please read our FAQ’s regarding the new approach to auditions.
Please click here to complete an application form. You will receive confirmation of your place on the audition within 7 days of submitting your form.
Please note: We are very much hoping the Programmes will commence in September although, this may be subject to change if the UK Government restrictions haven’t been lifted. However, we are really keen to keep connected with our future potential students and that is why we are now holding online auditions. Please be assured that we will keep you up to date with any developments.
An Alternative approach to Open Days for 2020
During these unprecedented times and in lieu of being able to hold Open Days we wanted to provide some resources and further information about the CAT Programme. Hopefully what we have provided will give some insight into the training programme and the format of the courses.
We have included:
- Programme Information
- Dates at a glance
- Footage of pieces created and performed by students
- Building Information
- Audition Information
Please click here to access the Open Day Information
Training with Swindon Dance CAT
Swindon Dance Centre for Advanced Training (CAT) runs three different programmes; Swindon Contemporary, Swindon Urban and Exeter Contemporary. The dance training runs alongside the academic year September – July. Students that successfully audition get the opportunity to work with a range of core tutors and guest choreographers throughout the year. The contemporary programmes focus on contemporary, ballet and modern techniques. The Urban programme focuses on hip-hop, popping, breaking, house and other styles.
Swindon Dance CAT hosts young dancers 11-17 years olds from all areas of the South West region. The CATs are supported by the Department for Education through means-tested bursaries. For those that qualify training is FREE and finical support for travel is also available.
For more information about any of three different Centre for Advanced Training programmes click here.
Please note that during this time of closure due to COVID-19 with our team working from home our telephone system is not available therefore you will need to contact them by email
Past students have gone on to train at some of the top vocational colleges and Dance Conservatoires:
- Arts Educational
- Bird College
- Central School of Ballet
- Institute of Arts Barcelona
- Laine Theatre Arts
- London Contemporary Dance School
- London Studio Centre
- Millennium Performing Arts
- National Centre for Circus Arts
- Northern Ballet
- Northern School of Contemporary Dance
- Rambert School of Ballet and Contemporary Dance
- Royal Ballet (upper school)
- Salzburg Experimental Academy of Dance
- SLP College of Performing Arts
- Trinity Laban Conservatoire for Music and Dance
- Urdang Academy
Two of our alumni have won their dance categories in contemporary and urban to go through to the finals of the BBC Young Dancer of the Year
Our alumni are working as professional performers, choreographers and directors in the arts world, such as:
- Black Box Dance Theatre, Denmark
- Boy Blue Entertainment
- Company | Wayne McGregor
- Cullberg Ballet
- Danish Dance Theatre, Denmark
- James Cousins Dance
- Munich Ballet (Staatsballett) – principle dancer
- Protein Dance
- Punch Drunk
- Rambert Dance Company
- Russell Maliphant Company
- Tavaziva Dance
- modelling contracts (including Top Shop & Ellesse)
- Tribe Dance
- TV commercials (Lexus, Uber & Halfords) and music videos (including Beyonce, Florence + The Machine and Digital Farm Animals)
- Wim Vadekeybus | Ultima Vez
- Warner Brothers – Peter Pan
- West End – The Lion King