Pre-Vocational Training Programme (street dance ) September 2021 Entry
ON-LINE OPEN EVENING – Thursday 26th November from 6.30pm – To Register click here
1 year full time course for 17+ years
2 year part time course for 16+ years
Gain a recognised Qualification equivalent to 3 A Levels
Entry Requirements: 5 GCSEs at Grades 4 and above to include English and Maths
This course is led by national professionals from the urban dance industry with the emphasis being on the achievement of practical dance skills to a level that will enable participants to audition for vocational training at Degree level and a future career in dance if they so choose.
Core Street Course Tutors:
Fred ‘Realness’ Folkes (Popping, Body Conditioning & Contextualising Dance)
Realness’ is a UK based performer. He is a member of the group Old Men Grooving – finalists in 2015 Britain’s Got Talent. Fred specialises in various popular/vernacular and street dances, especially dances of the late 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s. He is regarded internationally as an expert in the street dance styles of Popping and Locking.
Clara Badejo (House & Hip Hop)
Since 2013 Clara has been a house dance technical teacher and lecturer at the University of East London. Clara has appeared in many productions and videos, and has danced alongside many famous international artists, dancers and choreographers.She founded In Da House, her own house dance project, launched and produced her second dance event The New Kidz On The Block and danced at the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games in London.
Banxy is a veteran in UK hip hop dance. Having trained at Swindon Dance, the Northern School of Contemporary Dance and the London Studio Centre, he has spent the last fifteen years teaching and performing across the UK and abroad.
High-profile projects include choreographing breakdance sequences for the BBC TV series Travels with my Tutu with Deborah Bull, Principle Dancer at the Royal Ballet; and teaching and rehearsing the ground performance dancers at the Millennium Dome celebrations.Wor
Workshop Teachers Include: Liara Barussi (Juke Box Collective), Lara McCabe (Boy Blue), Frankie Johnson (Plague), Luke Lentos, Kate Scanlan, Geni Lou, Brooke Milliner, Shawn Aimey, ‘Reckless Lee’, and Tomoko Chiba, Gemma Fuller, Thomasin Gulgec & Gemma Bowen.
Units of study
- Dance technique including Popping, Breaking, Hip Hop and House
- Body Awareness
- Performance Practice
- Fundamentals of Choreography and Creative Practice
- Contextualising Dance
Extra curriculum studies
- Extra practical enhancement training will form part of this training programme with workshops in a variety of current dance styles
- Audition preparation and guidance
- Students will be expected to attend a minimum of six performances per year held at the Court Theatre @ Swindon Dance
Assessment will include practical demonstration, performances, verbal presentations and discussions, reflective logs, written question and answer, project and practical file.
Access to HE Diploma (Street Dance ) – £125 per year
This qualifications has been allocated 16-19 government funding. All students aged 16-19 years of age will be able to access this funding, therefore the qualification will be free and students will be expected to cover the cost of £125 for enhancement training. Students aged 20+ can pay for the course, please get in touch for further details.
- There is access to a Bursary fund available (subject to eligibility criteria, which is determined on an individual case by case basis)
- In addition, there is a hardship fund which may help to support with additional costs
Travel Subsidies also available
Entry for 2021 is by application and audition.
Applications NOW OPEN for September 2021 Entry – click here
This programme of training runs in partnership with New College, Swindon
Swindon Dance is an accredited CERTA centre
This programme of study is classified as; Access to Higher Education Diploma, AVA Learning Programme.
All information complies with the; QAA Recognition Scheme for Access to Higher Education – The Access to Higher Education Diploma Specification 2013
- All students will have access to the College’s VLE and online learning resources / materials.
- In addition, there is full access to the College’s on-site facilities including the Learning Resource Centre, the Refectory, Study Rooms and Student Enrichment Centre
- be able to use the gym and sports facilities (an extra charge is payable, albeit at a significantly reduced rate)
- The College email will provide access to student discounts such as the NUS card and Unidays sites / apps
All Students on the PVTP will:
- be provided with access to Office 365
- Careers Advice
- have access to the College’s Counselling and Wellbeing Teams, including College Nurses
- have access to daily drop-in sessions available for students with additional support needs, available every day between 12 – 2. (These currently have to be booked due to Covid-19 restrictions)